Our family has provided generations of families Emerald Isle’s most beautiful beach vacation memories! For more than 61 years, Emerald Isle Realty’s vision of North Carolina front porch, southern hospitality has meant providing our beach loving guests with the most delightful island homes for their friends and family. We have carefully chosen from the finest homes on the Crystal Coast our collection of elegant and spacious Sandcastle homes, whimsical condos and our personal favorite, our authentic, vintage Classic Carolina Cottages.
Our founder, Mildred Batten Simmons moved to Emerald Isle in 1962 to enjoy salt water fishing with her husband Clarence. She was just being a genuine, neighborly North Carolina gal when other friends from Winston Salem began buying homes nearby on Emerald Isle and asked her to keep the keys to their beach cottages and “just charge a little something” to other friends who might want to come enjoy the then mostly uninhabited island paradise that was Emerald Isle in the early 1960s. From this humble, friendly beginning Emerald Isle Realty was born.
By the early 1970s, Mildred’s brother’s family, Jim and Mary Batten and their daughter, Julia Batten Wax, had joined the thriving business that now numbered almost 200 vacation rental homes. Soon after, Mark Wax, Julia’s husband also became a full-time partner in the family business and together, Jim, Mary, Julia and Mark oversaw the steady, careful progression to become one of the most popular and highly regarded vacation rental management and real estate sales firms on the North Carolina coast.
Emerald Isle Realty currently manages over 700 island homes from Emerald Isle to Indian Beach, up the island to Pine Knoll Shores and even Atlantic Beach. The family business is now owned and managed by Mark and Julia Wax and their children, the third generation of the Batten and Wax families, Nathan and James Wax and Allison Wax Carter. The fourth generation, Mark and Julia’s grandchildren—island born and bred– are already in training and enjoy summer jobs at Emerald Isle Realty. Since 1962, it has been a joy to welcome families that have become dear friends from all over the United States and even from several European countries to experience North Carolina hospitality, Emerald Isle Realty style.
When was the business founded?
Emerald Isle Realty has been welcoming families to the Crystal Coast area since 1962.
How many properties do you currently manage?
Emerald Isle Realty currently manages over 700 island homes from Emerald Isle to Indian Beach, up the island to Pine Knoll Shores and even Atlantic Beach.
Where are your guests travelling from?
Since 1962, it has been a joy to welcome families that have become dear friends from all over the United States and even from several European countries.
What sets you apart from the competition?
We pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service and helping families find the perfect place to spend time with their loved ones, whether it’s for a week or for a lifetime. Emerald Isle Realty has numerous years of experience and commitment to the satisfaction of our homeowners, our rental guests and employees.
What are some recent business successes?
- BRONZE 2021 Adrian Award for Corporate Social Responsibility
- This award was received as a result of our commitment to supporting nearby communities and those who work to keep our coastline beautiful throughout the pandemic. This was achieved through various donations to the North Carolina Coastal Federation and Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina.
- GOLD 2018 Adrian Award and BRONZE 2019 Adrian Award for Digital Marketing
- Now in their 64th year, the Adrian Awards recognize hospitality brands and agencies for creativity and innovation in advertising, digital marketing and public relations.
- 2018 Real Estate Top Dollar Production Award
- The Carteret County Association of REALTORS® recognizes achievements of real estate professionals throughout the county each year.
- 2019 WeddingWire Couples’ Choice Award
- The WeddingWire Couples’ Choice Awards® recognize local wedding professionals who demonstrate excellence in quality, service, responsiveness, and professionalism. Winners are determined by the reviews from more than one million WeddingWire couples.
Do you have any key industry affiliations or memberships?
Emerald Isle Realty holds long standing memberships with the BBB, Vacation Rental Management Association (VRMA), Vacation Rental Housekeeping Professionals (VRHP), North Carolina VRMA (NCVRMA), Southeast Tourism Society, National Association of REALTORS® (NAR), North Carolina Association of REALTORS® (NCAR), Carteret County Association of REALTORS® (CCAR), Emerald Isle Business Association, Carteret County Chamber of Commerce and Swansboro Area Chamber of Commerce.