Harker’s Island, NC, is a peaceful community just 30 miles away from Emerald Isle. Just take US-70 to Harker’s Island Road, which will lead you straight there. You’ll be amazed by the area’s history, traditions and culture.
EXPLORE HARKER’S ISLAND, NC
This marshy region in Carteret County is known as “Down East” and has a total of only 3.8-square miles, (1.3-square miles is water) but it’s big on charm and beauty. Our rental properties near Harker’s Island, NC, are a day trip away from Beaufort, Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle adventures.
Things to Do on Harker’s Island
Harker’s Island may be small but offers plenty to do. One of the most popular draws to this region are the Shackleford Banks, part of the Cape Lookout National Seashore, where you can see wild horses, go shelling, fishing, lighthouse climbing or kayaking. Harker’s Island, NC, also offers the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center where you’ll find carvings, waterfowl art, music, storytelling, boat building and more.
Don’t leave without stopping by the Harker’s Island Visitor Center. Here you can find an interactive map of the Cape Lookout National Seashore Park, the Kids’ Corner, a park film, informational materials, “Junior Ranger Adventure Books” and a gift shop.
- Cape Lookout National Seashore
- Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center
- Harkers Island Visitor Center
- Out & About in Carteret County: Harker’s Island, Cape Lookout and Shackleford Banks
- Birding at Bogue Banks
- The Wild Horses of Shackleford Banks
Harker’s Island Events & Festivals
- Taste of Core Sound (February and August)
- Beaufort Food & Wine Festival (April) in nearby Beaufort
- Beaufort Wooden Boat Show (May) in nearby Beaufort
- Beaufort Homes and Gardens Tour (June) in nearby Beaufort
- Core Sound Museum’s Waterfowl Weekend (December)
Harker’s Island, NC Map
Explore Homes Near Harker’s Island